Wednesday 11 August 2010

ESCALATING ENAMELLING

I know, I can't seem to stop myself at the moment. I can fit these label shaped pieces of copper or steel, 4cm x 8.5cm into my kiln. It is a bit like working pages of my sketch book.
Layering, scraping back adding silver and gold leaf and then reworking.
These were directly inspired by my holiday in fossil filled Dorset.
The piece on the left started out as the piece of copper at the top of this post.
I am beginning to amass a body of enamelled work but I am still struggling with the one off nature of each piece. I can't quite shake off the printmaker in me. I think it is safe to say I am stirred by this technique...sorry!!




5 comments:

Sara Bowen said...

Ha ha! Beautiful work, and it's inspiring me... not sure what's being inspired yet but I too can feel the stirring!

sukipoet said...

all of this very original, beautiful and inspiring. Dorset sounds like a marvelous place to visit.

Chrissie said...

I know covetousness isn't very attractive, but ... I covet!

MrCachet said...

I'm curious as to how you are getting the characters onto the surface of the metal - I've never worked with it, although I etched aluminum as an experiment almost forty years ago. I had to etch the characters backwards, and although I had experience as a signwriter, I never felt the end result was the sane as if I'd lettered it right-way around.

Seth said...

These are beyond incredible. There is something about these pieces that really draw me to them.