Monday 26 October 2015

TOE IN THE WATER...!

So I have entered a new world and I have to admit I quite like it! I decided to try my first contemporary craft show and as Select Showcase was on my doorstep why not?
Initially it was like Printfest, everyone set up in their own spaces and then spent a weekend talking and explain what, how and why we make what we make. Sharing stories and secrets.
But on setup day the difference hit me like an articulated lorry. Not just a case of popping up a few Collagraphs, craft shows involve styling and setting your work into what I can only describe as an installation. A plan I have to say I had been working on for weeks!
Thanks to my lovely friend Caroline  and my long suffering daughter Holly, set up went very smoothly. The furniture was made by a lovely local carpenter Fred who came to visit the show and I hope he was pleased with his handiwork. (Could have sold those tables several times over)
Throughout the weekend I met lots of lovely friends, students from courses, people I had lost touch with and lots of talented interested folk. Thrilled to have talked to Viv of Hen's Teeth fame and Cleo Mussi...I have to admit a bit star struck on both counts.
And then there were my fellow exhibitors, well what can I say...?
The gorgeousness of Caroline Lingwood.
The exquisite beauty of Claire Cawtes textiles. Excited that she will be teaching at the yard:ARTspace next year.
The exuberant Julie Jowett (yes it is difficult to catch her when she is still) Another talent coming to the yard in 2016.
Her stories in stitch.
The quirky mixed media ceramicist that is Claire Baker.
Of course I have to mention Karen Suzuki while I am having a budgie moment.
But what made this show for me was the encouragement and friendship of  Claire, Julia, Claire, Caroline and Holly and to all the lovely exhibitors and visitors that took time to chat.

What next?

No comments: